Aircraft Rescue Fire Department
Aircraft rescue and firefighting (ARFF) is a special category of firefighting that involves the response, hazard mitigation, evacuation, rescue and emergency medical response to airport emergencies. Airport firefighters have advanced equipment and training in the application of firefighting foams, dry chemical and clean agents used to extinguish aviation fuels.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) mandates ARFF operations at all U.S. airports that serve scheduled passenger air carriers. The LNAA ARFF Department is a group of highly dedicated and trained staff that consists of 7 full-time and 3 part-time personnel.
Commissioned on October 2003, the 13,000sq.ft. state-of-the-art ARFF facility is a very functional and professional addition to the airport. The selected building site yields the quickest response time to each of the existing runway ends and to the terminal building. The site is also strategically located to serve a future parallel Runway 6/24. The facility can be seen by passengers in the concourses and in arriving and departing aircraft.
More about the ARFF Station:
- One level with a second story Watch Mezzanine.
- Vehicle Room has four vehicle bays.
- There are four dormitories with intercoms, phones and emergency lighting.
- There are two offices for computer access and business activities.
- There is a power generator for emergency lighting, communications equipment, overhead door operation, alarm system, and other essential systems in case of power failure.
- All truck bay doors are protected from freezing with in-floor radiant heating system.
- Fully tiled men’s and women’s locker rooms with showers are provided along with rest rooms for firefighters and an ADA accessible visitor’s rest room.
- A Foam Room with storage tank and pump system is provided with exterior standpipe for refilling tank.
LVIA Police Department – 610-266-6000
The Lehigh-Northampton Airport Authority Police Department is a certified criminal justice agency located in the lower level of the main terminal of the airport and operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. To reach the Airport Authority Police, you may call (610) 266-6000, or if it is an emergency dial 911. While in the terminal you may also contact the Airport Authority Police by using a red emergency phone or white courtesy phone. These phones can be located throughout the Airport Terminal.
The airport authority police officers are fully trained under Act 120 of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and are certified by the Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers Education and Training Commission. The department is led by its Police Chief and currently consists of 15 sworn members. Included in the department is a Bicycle Patrol Unit. The police department is part of the Operations and Safety Department and the Police Chief reports directly to the Airport Authority’s Director of Operations and Safety.
The Airport Authority Police are a group of highly trained officers. They receive the most up-to-date training available in law enforcement, medical response, and other related areas. It is the department’s intent to seek new and better ways to serve and protect the airport community.
The Lehigh-Northampton Airport Authority Police report all crimes to the Uniform Crime Reporting System (UCR), which is compiled by the Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Research and Development.